In 1853, the Jesuits moved their college and seminary to the house of Gavril Romanovich Derzhavin, poet laureate and minister of justice under Catherine II (1762-96), which is the seminary's present location. In 1918 the Bolsheviks confiscated the seminary and adjacent Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin and in 1922 gave the property as office space to various state-approved organizations.
In the summer of 1995, the state returned to the Church the third floor of the old seminary in St. Petersburg. As a result, in the fall of that year, the seminary (actually opened temporarily in 1993 in a few rooms in Moscow's Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception) moved to St. Petersburg. The state also returned the severely damaged church adjacent to the seminary. Reconstruction work on both began at once. Since 1995, the Church has regained and restored others portions of its seminary/church property. To date, most of the cathedral has been returned (about 60%), though a bank still occupies part of the first floor entrance area.
On 24 May 1998, the cathedral was reconsecrated, and a few days later on 31 May, Archbishop Kondrusiewicz ordained as deacons the first seminarians trained in Russia.
That same day, the U.S. American Seminarian and founder of A. C. R., Rev. Marcel Guarnizo, was ordained to the priesthood, one of the few priests ordained in the cathedral since the Bolsheviks confiscated the seminary/cathedral complex.